June 16, 2008
June 16th (Sify) – NMDC Ltd re-started operating three iron ore mines on Friday night, nine days after Maoist rebels blew up power transmission towers, a company source said on Monday.
The state-run miner, which supplies ore to local and Japanese buyers such as Nippon Steel and JFE Steel Corp, expects a total production loss of 400,000 tonne to 450,000 tonne during the stoppage.
“The mines are fully operational now,” said the official who did not want to be identified. “It translates into a loss of about Rs 10-12 crore ($2.3-2.8 million) each day.”
June 10th (Steel Guru) – It is reported that iron ore output at three mines in Bailadila iron ore complex of National Mineral Development Corporation Ltd has stopped after Maoist rebels blew up power transmission towers, the second in the past year.
Maoists blew up 220 KV high tension electricity towers in the forests of Dantewada on Thursday, plunging the region into darkness. Besides Dantewada, the other districts that don’t have power supply are Bastar, Bijapur and Narayanpur.
NMDC officials said that the blackout has completely stopped iron ore excavation work at two fully mechanized mines at Bailadila, while work is somehow on in the third deposit. The three mines produce about 23 million tonnes of iron ore per year.
Mr Jai Prakash spokesman of NMDC said that “We have been told by government officials it would take 7 days to 10 days to restore power supplies. NMDC would run out of supplies much before that. We do not have much stock. It may last for two to three days.”
Mr Prakash said NMDC may lose INR 100 million to INR 120 million due to the stoppages.
He added that “In May last year, Maoists blew up transmission towers in the same area, forcing NMDC to shut several mines for 10 days. Losses amounted to about INR 1 billion.”